Monday, January 27, 2014

Steamed Moneybags

Dunplings2

I’ve been on the lookout for ideas for easy but tasty and eyecatching finger foods lately and I liked the idea of making some Asian inspired Moneybags but I thought they might be a bit time consuming or tricky to make, but I decided to give it a go and to my surprise they were really quite simple and quick to make and certainly effective to look at – and by all accounts tasty to eat as they all disappeared very quickly.

 

Id  like to have taken some photos of the process of making them – I might do that in a separate post but I only had my tablet with me –  and I didnt want to get icky meaty fingers all over the screen picking it up and putting it down – and besides- I wasnt really sure they would work out well enough for a blog post anyway!! – so I may make another batch later this week and add some photos of the process .

In the  mean time heres the photo I took just before I put them in the Steam Oven

dumplings2

 

STEAMED MONEYBAGS

INGREDIENTS

250gm minced pork meat ( lean)
1 small spring onion finely chopped
1 2-3cm knob ginger grated
1 small chilli finely chopped
2 cloves garlic –crushed and chopped
1tspn salt
1tbsn sesame oil
1tbspn hoisin sauce
1tbsn rice flour ( or cornflour will work too)
25 wonton wrappers
25 chives – thicker chives work more easily

METHOD

Mix all but the last 2 ingredients in bowl.
Roll a small ball of meat mixture ( approx 2cm diameter) .
Take wonton wrapper in one hand and place meatball in centre and bring up edges of wrapper and pinch together  to form a parcel . Tie with chive .( This isnt as hard as you might think- the wonton wrapper sticks to itself fairly easily so you can put the parcel down while you tie it with a chive)
My chives from my garden were quite thin and broke fairly easily – so use thicker chives or garlic chives to make the tying easier.

Dip tops of moneybags in water ( I did this because some of my wrappers were quite floury) then place on perforated try and steam at 100 degrees for 25-30 minutes . Alternatively you could steam these in a bamboo steamer in a wok.

Serve with your favourite dipping sauce

DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1 chilli chopped
1 tbsn grated ginger
1 tbsn hoisin sauce

Mix all ingredients together in small bowl and sprinkle with a few pieces of chopped chilli and chive if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment