Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Summer Sparkler–a Summer Afternoon Cocktail Refresher

 

summersparkler

 

 

Anyone who knows me well knows I’m a fan of fruity cocktails – I love experimenting and trying out my new creations and the ones I love the most are those which are refreshing, light and citrusy.

Ive long been a fan of 42 Below Feijoa Vodka  which is odd as Im not a great fan of the fruit itself eaten raw. ( For those who are unfamiliar with feijoa you can read about them here)

Anyway the best part of the feijoa IMHO is its aroma which is that of  mid afternoon  sunshine – yeah I know you didnt think sunshine had an smell – but seriously if you could imagine the smell of a hot summer afternoon by a pool then you know exactly what feijoa smells and tastes like.

Feijoa Vodka is the perfect addition to any summer cocktail.

My other more newly developed love is for flavoured ciders ( these are the alcoholic variety ) – The Swedish brand Rekorderlig being my recently favoured  brand but there have been numerous local brands pop up on the shelves of supermarkets and liquor stores lately. including the one I used for this cocktail – Wildside Feijoa and Passionfruit Cider

Combining cider and Feijoa Vodka seemed to me like a perfect match for a summer cocktail – and so I came up with the Summer Sparkler.

 

SUMMER SPARKLER

INGREDIENTS

1 500 ML bottle cider ( I used WildSide Feijoa and Passionfruit Cider but you could try it with any other variety)
125ml 42 below Feijoa Vodka
500ml Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale
125ml  lime juice- unsweetened – I use lime juice a lot in cooking and cocktailis so I buy it in a bottle – I love the St Andrews 1 ltr bottles – but you can use any unsweetened lime juice – or squeeze it yourself.
1 lemon or lime sliced
Several sprigs of mint

METHOD

Mix all ingredients in a jug and top with mint lime and ice.

Pour and Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment